Bonaparte is the site in southeastern Iowa where many of the Mormon pioneers, including President Brigham Young, crossed the Des Moines River as they headed west. The brick building on the left was a mill. Built in 1836, the structure was here when the Saints came through ten years later. The building on the left was constructed in 1879, considerably after the Latter-day Saints came through. Both structures are located in The Bonaparte National Historic Riverfront Park. The Des Moines River can be seen in the foreground.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.